Thursday, September 13, 2012

to store the food....

So apparently I've tortured some of my friends by not telling my goal in the last post. I didn't omit it on purpose, I just didn't think anyone would find it terribly interesting.

In our church we are counseled to store one year supply of food. Now over the years I've done a great job of that, but we've added two new babies to the mix recently so I'm a little behind. Also I've never really embraced the idea of cooking with what I store. For me the food storage I have is just an insurance policy so to speak. I hope never to have to use it, but I followed the commandment to keep it.

Well the new goal is to embrace this idea a little better. I want to beef up my storage to include it for three more...yes because I'm certain we will have another baby. Also more is not a bad thing. When they get married I plan on giving them their food storage. I won't need it after all and the shelf life of most staples is 20+ years if stored correctly. But beyond that I want to start to cook with it and correctly rotate it. I also want to store the hygiene items too. I've never really gone there. It's time.

So my goal is to spend the next year and beef up my food storage. Really focus on it and find the joy in it. I want to include wheat grinding, preserving fruits and vegetables (I do this now a little), working with powder eggs and butter, figure out powdered milk (woof), using beans as a fat substitute in baking, water and fuel storage, and since my husband kills things now, I want a huge freezer to store it all. The whole shebang. I've also been mulling over joining a produce co-op. My friend does one here in Houston called Wood Duck Farm. It's a pretty neat idea. I've been dragging my feet on it because I've been so busy, but I'm going to look into it more seriously.

I have a plan that I got online that breaks it down into baby steps.  My only concern is storage as we don't have basements here in Texas and you cannot store food in the garage when the temperature is so fierce because nutritional value is lost greatly. I know that the a commandment will not be given without a way for it to be accomplished. I won't be alone in this endeavor. Maybe I'll get a new house out of it! LOL! I doubt it though! But we have made a goal to build a house over the next few years and you can bet I will have a storage room in it that will be the mecca of storage rooms.

That's it my friends. Kind of dull, but some of these things have been on my list for years so I figure it's about time. You all know how I go crazy on stuff so expect big things....and lots of chatter about it. I'm a very focused person! So that's it! Ta-dah......

7 comments:

Nicole said...

you'll just have to build a basement in the new dream house! ;)

Melissa said...

You can't have basements in Houston. The water table is too high.

Marissa and Al said...

If you ever want to try some delicious food storage I sell Shelf Reliance. Also, check out Rawfully Organic for a co-op. Most of it is locally grown food and it is all organic. Also, you don't have to pay a co-op fee. Just the price of your box of food.

Melissa said...

Thanks Marissa. I do use Thrive products. They are the best! I've never heard of that co-op, I shall google!!!

Kathleen Jackson said...


what is the web site you used?

Melissa said...

Everydayfoodstorage.net I bought the food storage binder, but you don't have to its all from the site just organized. I want the recipe binder too, but that's the next step after aquisition. Lol!

narnianne said...

you're amazing!