Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Unplug

"Slow down, you crazy childand take the phone off the hook and disappear for awhileit's all right, you can afford to lose a day or two"
You know what's so funny?!? In our house if the phone rings the kids used to freak out. They would run to my phone or Chris's phone and tell me who it is and bring it to me so I could answer it. Then I'd say thank you and set it down not answering it. They would look at me like I was nuts. But why? Why is it so crazy to not be at somebody"s beck and call? 
What is is about the phone that causes such urgency in us? Or the doorbell. I don't answer that either usually. Or check the mail...nope don't really do that. I hate mail. It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer asked to have his mail stopped all together and they wouldn't let him. It blew my mind. I want that. It's 99% junk anyway right?
I was talking to my dad the other night about how I hide while I'm pregnant. I really don't call people or want to see anyone. I never answer the phone even if it's someone I know well. I just hide in my cozy house. I'm not sure why, other than the fact that I truly have very little time during the day and the LAST thing I want to do is give a second of that time away to my phone or any media really. 
Chris spent the last few weeks off work and stayed home with us and new baby Asher. I learned how much my husband likes the television. It was always on! Sometimes in two different rooms. Now when we got married we both liked it and watched a lot of TV. Apparently he has not changed but I have. Unless it's in the middle of the night and I'm feeding a child, I don't watch TV. One of my most happy times of the day is the first minute or two after I turn the blaring TV off when a child that was watching it wanders away. I hate the TV. The loud garbage commercials, the news, the trash (well I love one or two trash shows, but only watch them in the wee hours of the evening on nights I long to be brain dead).
So what's the point? I don't know....just another of my oddities. I've just come to the conclusion that the world will not end if we turn stuff off. Try it sometime. Shut all of the junk off. I promise you that you will feel....FREE! You don't need to make the whole family do it. Just you...give up some vice for a week. I've noticed that the mourning period for giving up a vice is about three days. Just enough time to get it out of your system and see the benefits. 
My bestie Heather (hi Heather!) doesn't have a cell phone or voice mail on the home phone...Oh how I've pondered that....Don't be surprised my friends if I choose that route. I've found that constantly being connected to the things and people of this world is not necessarily a good thing (except the handful of family and great friends). I'm just tired of being a slave to it all. think about it...


I'd rather be a slave to this snuggle 














 
 

4 comments:

Nicole said...

lots of good points. and you better not ditch the cell phone because i will hunt you down! and of course i'm not surprised by you wanting to ditch it all. ;)

Melissa said...

I want to ditch the phone option, but I want texting still...not sure if that's possible...hmmm

nuttbutts said...

i have contemplated unplugging...no internet or tv. i get so sick of it too!

Andersonpysv said...

i have contemplated unplugging...no internet or tv. i get so sick of it too!