Monday, May 21, 2012

Simple

"Mama told me, when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely, to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.

Ohh take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come, and they will pass.
Go find a woman and you'll find love,
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above.

And be a simple kind of man.
And maybe some day you'll love and understand.
Baby be a simple kind of man.
Won't you do this for me son,
If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

Boy, don't you worry... you'll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied."





Have you heard this song before? I just love it and as i was thinking about this post it came into my head. Words...oh how I adore them.


When I think about myself and how I am, I always draw the conclusion that it's the simple things in life that truly make me happy. I'm not complicated. I don't have complicated lists of things I must do in this life. My tastes and pleasures are very simple. Many people would be bored with my simple kinda life, but for me...it's not complicated. 


"They're complicated people leading complicated lives." I'm surrounded by them. 


Today is a strange kind of day for me. I was up feeding Asher this morning when the house was still asleep and I could hear myself think.


Today is the birthday of one of my best friends. I can hardly believe how fast time goes as it seems like we just did this last year. I sat and thought about how this person has influenced my life so much while I've had the pleasure of knowing him. My heart was so full with gratitude. 


I used to listen to this Lynyrd Skynyrd song and put myself in the place of the child receiving advice from their wise mother. I listened to it today again while doing our morning routine and for the first time I was the mother and the children were mine. 


Today Zander turns ten years old. I know it's silly to get emotional over this but I just can't seem to hold that back. I realized this morning that we are more than half way done with his time in our home. If you know Zander and I, you know that it's not strange for me to consider him a best friend of mine. He truly is just that. Our relationship is very special to both of us. As he grows I look forward to having him as an adult friend in my life. I always say that children are investments. While there is joy in having them in their youth, I believe the true joy will come as that relationship matures. Well it can if you put a lot of hard work into it. 


We were blessed with children who hold the simple things in high regard. I'm not sure what we did to deserve these kids, but I am amazed everyday at how special they are. As I observe other children I see how ours were sent to us for special purposes. They have taught us so much about life and what is really important. Their personalities were tailor made to help Chris and I figure out this grand plan. I see that, I remember that when we are tested by those personalities. 


Ten years ago today my life was totally changed. It went from us to them. Zander was our first child. He made us a family. I will be ever grateful that Heavenly Father allowed him in our life. He is the best example I could ever ask for for our other children. He sets the bar very high and I am thankful for that. He is smart and hilarious, curious and silly, spiritual and morally clean. My heart is full when I think that he's mine, even if only on loan.


It's the simple things in life that are most extraordinary.

1 comment:

nuttbutts said...

thanks for your words of wisdom friend!