Thursday, November 3, 2011

tumblin' tot

About two weeks ago Eryx took a nasty spill down the stairs. As you may know I'm pretty anti-gate. I teach the littles how to go up and down the stairs right off. Now I love my baby's gourds, but with three older kids in the home, a gate will mean instant time suck and death of Melissa. I'm pretty sure that only Zander will be strong and coordinated enough to open the gate, which means I will be running up and down the stairs all day to let prisoners in and out of the gate. While this stair climbing may be good for my pregnant and growing butt, I think I will self-destruct if I have to commit to a lifetime of it.

But when I saw my yummy little buddy tumble from top stair to bottom stair hitting his head on each and every board, with a final watermelon splat on the floor....well I thought it was time to reconsider my laziness... In typical Melissa fashion, I thought there has to be another way.



A while back I was over at a friend's house (MZP) and she had this genius invention that totally blew my mind. It's not a common occurrence you see. I'm pretty tough to impress in all, but this was amazing....so I totally copied it! I took some of her suggestions on how to improve her version and came up with a few of my own.



Basically all it is is a big ol hunk of wood. I stapled quilting batting to it, and then sewed a sleeve. I left one side open and just tucked it in so I can throw the cover in the wash when someone barfs on it. I can also change the cover as I want to keep it exciting. Chris had a great idea of covering it with flannel and cutting out fun shapes making it a flannel board so the trapped child could get some distraction and learning from it. All good ideas. We put it one stair up so he can still think he's climbing something. And as you can see the toddler can climb right over it as well as the adult with hands full. I told you, totally blew my mind!!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

genius! way to go mzp and mk! ;)

MZP said...

well executed, my friend!

The Allgaiers said...

perfect since I just caught my little man half way up the stairs!

Janelle said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I saw this on Nicole's pinterest and died! I need this. We have a stupid gate that is so rickity and yesterday poor Ava feel down the stairs. It was so disturbing, first time she got really hurt. I love your idea and need to make one of my own. THANKS.

Melissa said...

Janelle I asked Nicole to pin it because she has way more friends! Lol! To be fair it was Melissa Prince's idea. Dan actually made theirs. I had to post it because it has been a lifesaver around here. I just had to share!

Kathleen Jackson said...

My sister in Law has this too, and it's so great. I love my gate, but think this is perfect. Plus the fabric is cute!!!

Debbie Buchanan said...

Pure genius! We have gates everywhere and it drives me bonkers. I wish I could use these on my stairs, but one side is a wall... but for your stairs this is ideal!