Sunday, February 6, 2011

See Melissa Run

This last weekend I ran the Houston Half Marathon. I set this goal back in July when I was six months pregnant with Eryx. At first I was just going to run the 5k. I was pretty sure that I could train for a three mile run in almost four months. But after looking at the calender I in true fashion Melissaness, decided to train for the half. I knew I could do it and wanted to use it as motivation to get back into running after taking a few months off.

After I had Eryx I began training and it soon became apparent that I wasn't going to be able to run the race. My knee was killing me on longer runs. So two weeks before the race I settled that I was not going to do it. I began telling everyone who asked that I wouldn't be running it and I had to deflect the looks of disappointment (or joy for my failure) that were being shot at me. It was really unsettling...and telling.

Anyway, when you run a larger race there is a Expo the day before where you pick up your number and all of the race day info. This year it was on a Saturday and the race was on Sunday. I woke up Saturday...sick as sick can be and just decided that I was going to do it. I hadn't run in a few weeks, my knee still bugged me when I went up the stairs, but I just decided I was doing it. So I did! It was that easy. I told myself that I would run as long as I could and walk the rest. I had only gotten up to eight miles in training so I thought I could do that again and walk the last five.

So off to the EXPO our family went. You can't explain the energy there. It's so contagious! I highly recommend you try it. It will infuse you with a running desire. I went to the one last year while I was pregnant. I wasn't running in that race, but the energy drew me in.  Well then I found out I was pregnant with E-train and the plan began.

On race morning I woke up so sick, but I had already decided I was going to do it and I had a plan. Run as long as possible and walk the rest. No matter how slow, no matter how pathetic of a time I get. I was going to just do my best. So I ran...and ran...and ran...I walked mile six not because I had to, but to kinda spread out my energy. I ran the rest of the race. I was pretty stinkin proud to have finished it sick, injured and under trained. My time was miserable and in retrospect I should not have walked mile six, but I really got to enjoy the energy of the race during that mile and it was pretty fun. I met so many people and heard so many stories. I was so inspired!

For me training and running in long distance races has zero to do with running. It's an experience. It's about setting goals and reaching them. I think if I ever run in another race I'm going do it for charity and try to fund raise. I've thought about doing this forever. It just all goes hand in hand. So much money is raised for various charities through races like these. Again, it's so inspiring. See I'm not all evil...

1 comment:

nuttbutts said...

good job! i realized that running is so much mind over matter. you have to believe that you can do it and you can. if you doubt, you wont. i started running again. i finally can. i think i need to carry some tums with me though since it causes some serious heartburn right now. i have never had to deal with that in the past. but i think i am going to try and do a half or a 10k sometime before i am too fat to run anymore. just to remind myself that i can. way to go melissa!