Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A sister by any other name

I don't have any sisters...well actually I do, but she's 8 and sometimes that's a little strange. But I don't have any sisters my age. I have an older brother, but that too is another post. I don't even really have a mother. Female realtionships are really lacking in my life.



What I do have is two very lovely ladies whom I just love and adore. I'm sure I never tell them that enough. One shares my name. I used to think that I could only be friends with people who have the same name as I do because I have over ten friends named Melissa...how vain is that? The other we'll call Feather, because that's what Elle calls her and I think it's adorable.



Feather lives an hour away, while Melissa lives about five hours away.



This morning I miss them both.



I've known Melissa for 13 years. Longer than my husband. We've laughed, we've cried, we've fought, we've played, we've talked and talked and talked. We've watched each others families grow and change. Sometimes we will talk everyday for a month and sometimes we won't talk for months, but when we do it’s as if no time has passed.



Feather I've known for five years...I think. She's the wisest person I know. I love spending time with her in the hopes of her goodness wearing off on me. Yet she is a bit feisty. After all she has to spend time with me too... Our kids are the exact same ages and are convinced that they are related to each other. When I spend time in her house I feel what I imagine it would feel like to be in a home I grew up in, a family home. It's familiar and comfortable. And the conversation is the best.



I think my trial lately is friendship. We moved two years ago and have endured some mega trials. I've pretty much shut out the social world in our new town which most of the time I am very grateful for, but on mornings like these. I miss my friends. I miss the ones who I've let in far enough to know me, to know how I tick, who know what makes me happy, and who know what to stay away from.



I'm not big on casual friendships, surface friends. When I am a friend I go deep. I don't make small talk and I don't have surface friends. Surface friends are very dangerous to me. I have a tendency to offend them very easily. I think it's because they don't really know my heart, my history, or my intentions. But that's ok. Don't get me wrong, it's a choice I've made and it's a much safer choice. I could tell ya some stories...scary!



I guess what I'm getting at is that I am so grateful to have found three very special people (husband included of course) who know me. Who love me. Who stretch me. Who humor me. Who crack me up. Who I know would do anything for me and have! Who teach me. Who show me the pure love of Christ, and who keep coming back for more of my insanity. I may need to take a drive soon!

2 comments:

nuttbutts said...

that is awsome! we all need friends we can just pick up where we left off. those are the real friends among all the casual acquaintances. your awsome!

Melissa said...

You're one of those too Sara, but since we havent seen eachother in over ten years...well...it felt a little odd to mention..haha! Here's to a reunion soon!