Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Great and Spacious Building

So I think I've had a breakthrough.


I think it's so funny how in this world, right now, what was once seen as horrible and unimaginable are now the popular and trendy. On the other side of it, what was once seen as ideal, is old fashioned and dull. How did this happen? Who is the author of such a change?



Today I was personally attacked for having values and being traditional. Really...people, people, you have to know that it would take more than that to get to me. A few things could be said to get me (the same ones that bugged me in Kindergarten), but proving my points...not so much.



So what was the breakthrough? Well I didn't lash back. You see, I am blessed and cursed with "having a way with words". Not only this, but I know people. I know them so well. When I talk to someone I can literally see into them. I know exactly what I can say that they either need to hear, or what can break them up. It's an odd blessing I know, but it is very real. It's a blessing when I use it for good, it's a curse when I use it for harm. And today, I am happy to say that it was not used for harm. It was kept in check, tucked away.



But the attack, the attack was comical and it reminded me of one of my favorite scripture stories.



It's found here: http://scriptures.lds.org/1_ne/8



If you keep reading, the symbolism is explained.



The world we now live in is the Great and Spacious building. They laugh at the righteous, they put our values down, they mock tradition. They tell us that the easier more selfish road is the better way. They try to get us to give up our fight. It almost seems as if our failure in our values and traditions would give them pleasure. Maybe so their weakness needs less attention. I'm not sure.



I'll give you an example, every time I go over to my families house, someone offers me a beer. Well we don't drink. We have been warned against the dangers of it by our church leaders and we can choose for ourselves to do it or not. Chris and I have chosen not to. But inevitability the same few members of our family offer us a beer...every time we see them. So one day I asked them why they do this; they know that we don't drink because of religious reasons. They said, "Well you never know when you'll change your mind". They are waiting for our failure. My brother even once told me that one day I would see that abstaining from alcohol and drugs is a mistake and he will be there to tell me that he told me so, and buy me a beer. CRAZY!



Now I never put others down for their life choices. NEVER. I accept everyone's choices as long as they don't interfere with my children and their safety. I never force my traditions and values down anyone's throat. I stand tall as an example of what I believe and if that is hard for someone, I don't force my presence on them. They can choose me or not. I don't tell others that I believe their lifestyles are wrong, or evil, or sinful. I really could care less about others lifestyles. I wish others would grant me the same luxury.



I am friends with so many people who don't hold my values, and I love them all. I understand them. I've been friends with some of them for most of my life. I love them, I pick them up when they fall, i listen to them, I celebrate with them, and I wait for the day, if ever, to share what I know to be true. But if that day never comes...well I'm here, I'm standing tall.



All I know is that my traditions and values are the last thing that should be mocked in this world. This world is so full of corruption that it is hilarious that people choose to harp on me for being a stay at home mom, in a happy marriage, childbearing, and loving the role of womanhood that I was blessed with at birth. Christian values are on the way out in this world. It's hard to be a Christian. It requires self control and self discipline. The rewards are not seen until many many years. It's too hard...blah blah blah. I also know that what is popular is seldom what is ever the right choice. If I'm ever faced with a challenge, I often ask myself what would the world do...and do the opposite. To me mainstream is dangerous. I'm trying to attain a greater goal.


At the end of their life I promise you that they will never say, "I wish I spent more time grooming my dog, I wish I spent more time acquiring things, I wish I spent more time alone, I wish I spent more time at the tanning salon, I wish I spent more time drunk." I assure you they will not say those things. The things that will be missing from their lives are the very things I am being attacked for doing. The very things I hold dearer than all else. But I know this already, I know how precious what I have is and that's why I choose it. It will last forever. I've been promised that.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

"Now I never put others down for their life choices. NEVER. I accept everyone's choices as long as they don't interfere with my children and their safety. I never force my traditions and values down anyone's throat. I stand tall as an example of what I believe and if that is hard for someone, I don't force my presence on them. They can choose me or not. I don't tell others that I believe their lifestyles are wrong, or evil, or sinful. I really could care less about others lifestyles."

I could not agree with this paragraph more. I have extreme respect for people of faith who can hold their own beliefs without trying to shove it down everyone else's throats or constantly quoting things at them to prove they are wrong. I try to act the same way. My own beliefs may be more liberal than some but I also don't try to force my liberal beliefs on everyone (unless they are harming my family or saying things that are simply untrue about my family, and even then I'm not forcing my beliefs, just trying my best to educate them since their opinions may be based in untruths). You go, girl! :)

Melissa said...

haha, thanks Lauren! I was nervous there for a min.