Saturday, January 24, 2009

My 25




I was tagged on Facebook last week. I have to put 25 random things down about me so people could get to know me better. I had intentions of doing this anyway. I got the idea from a blog that I love. She does this every year, and adopts a word of the year as a motivation. My word is:
Conquer
I have some awesome goals this year, and I will not let anything get in the way. I just signed up to run the San Diego Marathon. This is a goal I've had for over ten years, and I am so excited to get it done. Chris is excited that he won't hear me always talking about doing it anymore. 17 weeks and counting!


My 25
25. I love love love dishes. Any type of dish, serving platter, stemware, glass. Anything really. Its an obsession. I own two types of fine china, and two types of crystal, plus a million other pieces. You can often find me in Macy's tinging the crystal or drooling over the Wedgwood.



24. I get carsick in elevators, cars, escalators, planes, swings, slides, trampolines, basically anything that moves. I always have to sit in the front seat or I am sure to barf in your car.



23. I grew up in a home where it was ok to drink, smoke, smoke pot, but I would've been disowned if I ever drank coffee. Now I'm not saying that I did all of those things....but it was all around me my whole life. What a funny thing for my parents to enforce...needless to say, I do hate coffee and always have. The smell makes me gag.



22. I don't like chocolate. I know I'm a disgrace to my gender, but it is that last thing I would choose. I would much rather eat anything else for dessert...I don't really like ice cream either, but I will eat it from time to time, especially Cold Stone.



21. I can speak Spanish. I took six years of Spanish in school, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th. I love Spanish people. I am a little rusty, so I am always a little chicken to speak Spanish, but I can say that I understand it pretty fluently. Sometimes I watch movies in Spanish on cable, and go to Spanish sessions at the Temple. I would love to do something more with it one day.



20. I have absolutely no hand eye coordination and depth perception. So that equals...Melissa cannot play sports. Its funny to watch. I miss balls in golf, I can't dribble a basketball, I can't catch a ball to save my life, I've been hit in the face with volleyballs, shuttlecocks, baseballs, footballs...you name it. That's why I run and swim, I'm pretty safe there.



19. Growing up I never wanted to get married or have kids...It was programmed in me by my mother from birth.."never get married, never have kids". Then I met someone I could see myself having a family with and that was all out the window. My mom is odd!



18. I am really shy when I first meet someone. I have a hard time going up to people and introducing myself. I hate calling people on the phone, but am getting better with that. But once I get to know someone, the last word I would use to describe myself is shy...I'm a total spazz!



17. Many of you know this already, but I cannot drive. This goes in with the depth perception thing....watch out when I'm on the road.



16. I am fifty pounds lighter now than I was on my wedding day. After we had Mia I was over the size 16's so I decided it was time to knock it out. I lost 50 pounds in three months and have kept it off for four years and one baby. Also, I never keep pregnancy weight on. One week after each birth, I was down to my pre-preggo weight. I can't figure that one out, but I'm not complaining.



15. I don't have a favorite color. I can never answer that question, and it bothers me that I don't. I love them all and never show a preference.



14. I can eat an entire cake by myself...add pizza to that list. I have been known to do both. Cake is my favorite dessert, and pizza is on my top ten foods, but it has to be real pizza. Not anything made in a national chain....that's poo.



13. I once ate a Slurpee straw for five dollars. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I was sick for days.



12. I can play the clarinet. I took lessons when I was young. I love all kinds of music and even started taking piano lessons a few years back. Playing the piano remains on my list of to do's before I die.



11. I am a die hard friend. Chris and I both are. We call ourselves "consumers". When we find someone who we really like, we get obsessed and have to spend so much time with them. We love our friendships and fall really hard when people let us down.



10. I've worn glasses since I was two, but I have 20/20 vision without them. I have issues with my muscles which make them all wonkey at times. I used to be really self conscious about it, but I'm over it now.



9. If someone is wearing the same thing as me or my kids, we put it away and it is never worn again. I like to be original, and it really bugs me to see other people in my stuff. If I could sew, I would make all of our clothes, but I've tried sewing and its really sad.



8. I am always cold. In the heat of the summer, the A/C freezes me out and I often have to go for walks in 100 degree weather just to heat up again. It drives Chris crazy when its 70 degrees outside and I'm shivering...which is always. My ideal temp is 85 degrees.



7. I used to be the lead singer of a band. It was short lived, but really fun. I always tell people that I can't sing, but I really do have a good voice I'm just a little chicken. Maybe I should try out for American Idol!



6. After High School, I went to college for fine arts. I never finished. I want to finish college within the next few years. I plan on taking a class or two each semester until all of the kids are in school then finishing up. Unfortunately fine arts classes don't transfer well so I will probably be retaking a lot of classes. I don't mind I love art more than anything. I can see the art in anything. I love painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, design, writing poetry, and anything else that I can make beautiful. I love to create, and this flows over into so many areas, gardening, cooking/baking, dressing, interior design, so many things.






5. I grew up without any religion in my life. When I was young, I didn't know who Jesus Christ was. When I was 18 I started investigating religion. I was angry at my parents for never teaching me about these things. Today it is my faith that moves me everyday. I don't have one single thought or action that does not involve my faith in Jesus Christ. My life is completely different now. I am so happy knowing that Jesus Christ is my Savior and no matter what I do I can be forgiven and live with Him again.






4. I am an extremely focused person. When I get my mind on something, it will be done. I get obsessed and learn everything on that subject. My will power is the strongest part of me. It scares Chris. I have little compassion on people who can't change or better themselves. This is not a good trait of mine. I often think if I can do this why can't you. It gets me in trouble.






3. I have a sixth sense. I have an amazing ability to read people. I can't describe it, but I am never wrong about people. When I'm with someone its almost as if I can see into who they are and their intentions. Its like our souls speak or something...its strange to describe, but I am grateful for it.






2. I think being a stay at home mom is the most satisfying "job" in the world. It makes me very sad when women say things like there is no fulfillment in it, or they need to get away everyday. Sure its not always fun, but nothing worth the trouble ever is always easy. I could never leave the raising of my children to another person. It was in our marriage "contract" that we would do anything in order for me to be able to stay home with them. Even when Chris was in school and making $400 a month with two kids at home we found a way. I am grateful for my experiences as a mother.



1. My favorite place on the earth is my bed. I could sleep for 12 hours a day. We used to do this on weekends when we didn't have kids. It is my joy to sleep. If Chris ever does anything nice for me, its let me sleep. He can keep the flowers and chocolates....well diamonds would be good too...but he could get the kids out of the house and not come home for hours while I sleep.

No comments: